Pages

    Friday, December 17, 2010

    Gotta get right back to where we started from

    They say you never forget your first love and in terms of hockey for me that's definitely true. Though I did start watching hockey with Hockey Night in Canada there is one place that will always for me definitively be the birthplace of my hockey fandom and that place is with the Silvertips.

    I didn't become a hockey fan the traditional way and if you read my first ever post on this blog you know that.
    If you don't want to read that lengthy tale, I'll give you a short recap.

    My first exposure to hockey was at a WHL game when I was about 6. It was between the Seattle Thunderbirds and the Moose Jaw Warriors and  it was a fight fest. Needless to say I hated hockey walking out of the game, I didn't understand all the fighting at my age.
    Fast forward a couple of years and by some stroke of luck our TV had CBC which meant that I could watch Hockey Night in Canada. For a short while, my family would sit around and watch the Canucks play. We even went up to Vancouver for a game, back when the exchange rate wasn't crap. So yes, I was a Canucks fan for a bit. Yes, I feel shame for that people. I was young and impressionable!
    Jump to 03-04, the WHL expanded and the Silvertips were born. After attending a playoff series clinching game over the Vancouver Giants to send the Tips to the WHL Western Conference finals in their inaugural season, I was full on hooked to hockey.
    From that point, I began my quest to become an intelligent hockey fan. Even if I was the only hockey fan in my family. Really I learned the game from watching the seats of the EEC before and through the NHL lockout. Then when the NHL came back (after the word came out the lockout was ending on my birthday) I was a Penguins fan and then three years ago I became Blackhawks fan. And no, I don't plan on changing my fandom anymore even with my soft spots for the Oilers and Kings.

    While I have been a fan of three different NHL teams in my team has a hockey fan, there has always been one team I have always cheered for and that is the Silvertips.

    Thinking about walking into Comcast Arena, which I will always call the EEC, for the first time this season makes me giddy excited. Whenever I walk into the EEC, it's similar to coming home, where even after being gone for a long period of time, everything is still familiar and comforting. Maybe for you it's your hometown rink, the first rink you played at or where you watched your first hockey game. Tonight I'll be lucky enough to see my Tips take on my adopted team the Chiefs.

    I know that everyone has their own story to share with stories from different rinks but the EEC will always hold a number of mine. It was the place where I left with my ears ringing from the train goal horn after the Tips knocked out the Giants to advance to their first ever Western Conference finals. The place I saw my first ever favorite hockey player, Zach Hamill pull the puck & his stick between his legs and score in the shoot out and another time come down on a breakaway and score right in front the goal my mom and I were sitting behind after my mom had told me he wasn't playing very well. The place where at my 13th birthday party (my birthday is in July) I got my then-best friend to yell at Brandon Dubinsky, "Hey boys!" as we sat right next to the visitor's bench as the Winterhawks took on the Tips. It's also the place I watched Kyle Beach play his last game with the Tips before getting traded unexpectedly, in which  he scored & fought. I was also lucky enough to see a lot of now NHL players  play there like Dubinsky, Peter Mueller, Luke Schenn, Carey Price, Tyler Myers, Gilbert Brule, Jordan Eberle, Shea Weber, etc. And that's only some of my memories.

    Now that I'm away at school, if I'm lucky I get to go to a couple games at the EEC. I still attend WHL games since there is a team where I go to school but it doesn't compare to going to the EEC and rooting for the home team. I know that eventually one day with my career aspirations, I'll most likely end up having to move away from the WHL and not get to catch a single game at the EEC. But for now, I'm appreciative of getting to go to a game at home. Even if it's starting to make me feel old now that the bulk of players on rosters are years younger than me whereas before they were so much older. Plus I love getting  to see great young players before they get drafted.

    My hockey fandom grew from the ranks of junior hockey given my lack of an NHL team nearby, which will always give the WHL a special place in my hockey loving heart. So if you're lucky enough to go to a game at your favorite rink, cherish it. Memories from the rink are priceless.

    1 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Always love to hear others who love the Tips with a passion. We seem to be a passionate group. Sorry the boys played so poorly tonight. But they some how managed to pull out a win.

    Post a Comment